TIMBERLEA ATHLETIC PARK
The Timberlea Athletic Park in Fort McMurray includes upgraded ball diamonds and associated site works, and several new features.
Client: Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Project Type: Landscape Architecture
About This Project
The Timberlea Athletic Park in Fort McMurray includes upgraded ball diamonds and associated site works, and several new features: four soccer fields, championship baseball diamond, championship softball diamond, cricket pitch, and a box lacrosse/hockey rink. Built to the highest standards, all fields include special soil and turf mixes, irrigation, lighting and amenities. Other new park amenities include trails, site furnishings, a major playground, over 500 parking stalls, an 8500 sq.ft clubhouse and two smaller park buildings (concession/ washroom and maintenance office/garage). Servicing, stormwater management, and entry feature signage were also provided. Construction was completed in 2010.
ISL managed this $10-million project from planning to construction, and provided landscape architectural, civil engineering (site development/municipal) and public consultation services. As part of the ISL team, The Workun Garrick Partnership designed the buildings. Wilco Contractors Northwest was the sports field/site development contractor and Balon Construction was the building contractor
- Poor local soils meant that they needed to be overexcavated and replaced.
- Site design needed to accommodate stormwater drainage from a 500 ha area of marshland upstream.
- Park design needed to meet the competing needs of multiple stakeholder groups.
- Without available topsoil, a custom soil mix was developed using a range of local materials for a free-draining sports field that would meet long-term playability and operational objectives.
- An existing wetland and stormwater channels were integrated to ensure that the sports fields would not be inundated during storm events.
- ISL facilitated discussions between multiple stakeholder groups to ensure the park will meet the needs of regular season and tournament groups as well as the informal needs of surrounding communities.
- Landscape Architecture 80% 80%
- Supporting Services 20% 20%
- Parks Playgrounds and Sports Facilities
- Community Engagement
- 3D Visualization
- Site Development
- Stormwater Management
- Sustainable Design
Learn more about our parks playgrounds and sports facilites expertise.
Learn more about our community enagagement expertise.
Learn more about our 3D Visualization expertise.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Learn more about our stormwater management expertise.
Learn more about our sustainable design expertise.
Active Transportation, Award Winning, British Columbia, City, Community Engagement, Construction Management, Cyclists/Pedestrians, Environmental Management, Green Infrastructure, Landscape Architecture, Municipal Infastructure, Municipalities, Parks Playgrounds and Sports Facilities, Sustainable Design