What Makes Us Different
At ISL, we share an enthusiasm for community infrastructure. From planning through to design and construction management, we create nimble team to tackle the unique requirements of every project. This integrated service offering gives you the experts you need, when you need them.
Our technical expertise encompasses transportation, land use planning, civil engineering, municipal, landscape architecture, environmental management, water, structural, community engagement, geomatics, construction services, and 3D Visualization.
Just the right size, ISL delivers on complex projects while being small enough to maintain strong, cohesive project teams and personal client attention and service.
We demonstrate our commitment to the Social Value of a project in a variety of ways, depending on project requirements.
Social Value at ISL
As engineers, planners and designers, it is our responsibility to see every project as an opportunity to improve the world. Utilizing our expertise, ISLers create intentional, positive change to improve environmental, social and economic factors, providing value to our internal team, our clients, and our communities.
- Our offices are powered with 100% wind-generated electricity.
- We promote bike-friendly culture and offer e-bikes at select offices as a form of transportation to project sites and meetings.
- We reuse material wherever possible, whether it’s transferring fill from one project to another or reusing an entire bridge.
- We phase construction to reduce idling vehicles.
- We contribute to the development of healthy ecosystems through the design of wastewater treatment plants and bioswales.
- We design with active transportation in mind to encourage the community to utilize sustainable forms of transportation.
- We are well-versed in native plant species to support proper ecological function.
- We give back to our community by supporting the United Way, MS Bike Tour, yearly clean-up events and volunteering with local food banks.
- We utilize an employment equity and diversity program to maintain a respectful workforce.
- We offer active lifestyle loans to staff to support the purchase of sporting equipment.
- We operate an intensive and thorough safety program to keep our team, and those we work with, safe.
- We have a dedicated team of community engagement experts to ensure every project incorporates public feedback.
- We consider opportunities for human connection in our designs.
- We build green spaces, waterways, walking paths and trails to promote connection in the community.
- We live in the communities we serve to help support local economies.
- We utilize local suppliers where possible to reduce the economic and environmental cost of moving goods.
- We utilize cost/benefit analysis where possible to ensure economic project decisions are made.