COLUMBIA AVENUE AND WASHINGTON STREET UPGRAGES
Location: Rossland, BC, Canada
Project Type: Municipal, Landscape Architecture
About This Project
The project demonstrates that it is possible to make a walkable, vital community space where urban centres and highways intersect. It was built on budget within a tight 6-month timeframe in summer and fall 2012.
- ISL’s relationship with MOTI and in-depth understanding of design requirements enabled the inclusion of non-standard highway design solutions that met the community’s vision for the downtown.
- ISL kept the safety of pedestrians at the forefront by extending curbs and usinf energy saving LED lighting Curb extensions and energy-saving LED lighting
- Street trees are supported by an innovative soil cell system and a stormwater-fed gravity irrigation system, saving 2000m3 of potable water annually.
- Placing concrete swales at the back of parking stalls provides an innovative drainage solution for dry access to parked cars. Nearby parking stations are designed for charging electric cars.
- Community enhancements included extending the downtown park into the street and incorporating distinctive sculptures and street furniture that reflect Rossland’s unique heritage.
- Municipal Engineering
- Landscape Architecture
- Supporting Services
- Urban Transportation
- Infrastructure Upgrades
- Urban Design
- Construction Services
- 3D Visualization